March Madness

Spaldings jurek d. via Compfight

This past week has been feast week in college basketball. Several tournaments have been going on, such as the Maui Jim Maui Invitational, Battle 4 Atlantis, and The DIRECTV Wooden Legacy Tournament to name a few. I watched each of these tournaments and also some regular season games. From watching these tournaments and games, the teams that will make the Final Four, from my point of view, are Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina, and Duke.

The reason I think Kentucky will make it to the Final Four is because of the talent of their freshmen. They have five top one hundred players which is not a lot, but the players are highly ranked. Malik Monk has been showing his talent. He is averaging 18.7 points a game which is outstanding. He is also shooting 40 percent from the three point arch, which is extremely high for as many threes as he shoots. I think Kentucky will then go on to win the championship game.

UCLA is another team where the freshman will carry them to the Final Four. Their top freshman is Lonzo Ball. Lonzo Ball was the fourth player in the top one hundred and also played for Chino Hills who ended up the number one team in the country at the end of last year. Three players beside Lonzo who are doing well are; Aaron Holiday, T.J. Leaf, and Bryce Alford. I think UCLA will advance to the finals but then lose to Kentucky.

North Carolina is a team with veterans and a lot of experience. They have a tough front court with Isaiah Hicks and Jordy Meeks, and also two shooters in Berry and Jackson. I think North Carolina is experienced, but will fall short and lose in the Final Four.

Duke is a great all-around team. Their only problem is staying healthy. Both of their top recruits have been out the first month. They have been relying on Grayson Allen and Luke Kennard who are both great shooters, but they do not have a great front court. That is where the freshman Jayson Tatum and Harry Giles come in. I think Duke will be an underdog and will lose in the semi-finals.